Resumes act as gateways for many most of the jobs. Resumes are also known as CV (Curriculum Vitae). Resumes provide the interviewer with most of your personal and educational information in short format. Your resume must be perfect to impress the interviewer. You can even design your resume using web templates. You can search over the internet and find some brilliant resume designs to impress the interviewer or any other person viewing your resume. You must be careful in writing or designing your resume.
Important factors to design a quality resume
You must remember a lot of things before preparing a resume. The resume design is very important. You should write a resume to describe yourself shortly. You should consider the following factors to design a good resume:
- Highlight the accomplishments that are required for the position you are interviewed for.
- Make sure you explain your positive traits in the resume
- Avoid the use of words like ‘I’, ‘Me’, ‘Mine’
- Avoid spelling errors and grammar mistakes
- List the main achievements and qualifications
- List your experience in resume
- Never write about the reason of leaving your previous job
- Do not include too much personal information in resume
- Be careful about the alignment, font style and size used at different places
Key points to write a resume
Resume is out first impression in front of the interviewer. Here are some effective points to be remembered while writing a resume.
- Do not make your resume too long. It must be about a page or two not more than that.
- Collect all the information on a rough paper before writing your resume
- Brief out the information to be mentioned on your resume from the information collected
- Set the basic layout that include font style, color size, alignment and other specifications
- Write about your personal details and educational qualifications. Do not forget to include your work experience if any.
- Include your skills, achievements, personal competence and any exceptional hobby.
- Take out the print of your resume and place it in a good file
What not to include on your resume?
Till now we talked about the main things to be included in your resume. But now, we will learn about the things that must not be included in your resume.
Date on which you wrote resume
Most of the people make common mistakes by dating their CV. The interviewer does not want any information regarding the date on which you wrote resume. You only need to include your DOB and the dates related to your education and work experience.
Do not include personal data beyond your Contact Details
Do not include any other personal details accept name, contact number, sex, dob, religion, address, e-mail, and guardian name. Resumes are made to describe your qualifications more than the personal details.
Do not use school level grammar
You are a professional, and you should stop behaving like a school boy/girl. Use fluent English to write your resume and submit it to the companies.
Do not introduce your negative in resume
You should not write about the negative points about yourself. This may make a negative impression about you in eyes of the interviewer.
Do not add on an unrelated work experience
You need not to list all the jobs that you are doing since past years. Just list a few jobs that you are in since last 5-6 years. You can also leave some unrelated job from the work experience to be written in your resume.
Do not include your aim that says about your wants
Your aim must be an impressive one. Avoid writing the aim that tells the interviewer about your personal wants and desires.
Do not mention about your criminal record
Any criminal activity by you may be treated as harmful for company in eyes of interviewer. So avoid mentioning about your criminal record in the resume.
Do not use personal pronouns
Avoid using the personal pronouns like ‘I’, ‘Mine’, ‘Me’, ‘We’ etc. This tells the interviewer about your self-conscious and greedy nature.
Do not use long description
You should not use long description to describe a particular point in your resume. Just use one or two lines at maximum to do so.
Benefits of Resume Templates
These resume templates are fixed templates that have predefined structures to put on your resume and make it more attractive. The increase in job competition is one of the reasons why resume templates are needed. Resume templates have following advantages:
- Saves your time to create resume format
- Offers simple bullet point description
- Have well organized layout and design
- These are much more attractive than a plane paper
- You can easily customize the content of your resume anytime