While many people believe that they are bounded into Microsoft Word for their document creation needs, it simply isn’t true. There are many alternatives to the costly application by Microsoft, most of which are free. These tools provide very similar functionality like Microsoft office and most of them can work on your PC and mobile devices. Today we’re going to talk about alternatives to Microsoft Office that are considered as one of the best Microsoft office alternatives that you can easily start using today. Some will be online and some will be downloadable applications that can be installed on your local computer.
Best Microsoft Office Alternatives
The most popular open source suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more is Open Office.
- It is available in many languages and works on all common computers.
- It stores all your data in standard format and can edit files from other common office software packages.
LibreOffice is an OpenOffice spin-off that’s quickly picked up pace to become one of the best Microsoft Office alternatives. The ability to check your documents’ word counts in libre office’s status bar is particularly useful.
NeoOffice is a complete office suite for Mac OS X. NeoOffice enables users to create and edit text documents, spreadsheets, and presentations.
- NeoOffice can open OpenOffice documents and can also open most Microsoft documents.
- It is the best alternative for MS word for Mac users
Symphony is more than just a word processor. In addition to word processing tools, this free office suite includes a spreadsheet and a presentation program.
- Lotus Symphony is compatible with Microsoft Office documents.
- You shouldn’t have any trouble sharing documents with colleagues and friends.
ThinkFree Online is a web office service. It allows you to edit documents from your web browser without installing a program on your PC. To start using it, you need to register as a member.
Ehterpad is an open source, highly customizable tool for online document collaboration with others.
- One of its advantages is that there is no sign up with Etherpad. All you need to do is start a new pad and work.
- You can save and store your documents online and can also export them to your PC
Kingsoft Office Suite is a complete Office suite and it provides a similar user interface to Microsoft Office 2003.
- It comes with Writer, Spreadsheet, Presentation and Built-in PDF converter.
- It is compatible with almost all Microsoft Office file formats.
FreeOffice is a feature-rich office suite and you can easily obtain the necessary serial key from the company’s website, allowing you to access software such as TextMaker, PlanMaker, and Presentations with little hassle.
Zoho Docs is a Web-based office suite that follows in the footsteps of Google Docs.
- The free package offers 5GB of online storage
- It also offers a word processor and tools for creating spreadsheets and presentations
Google Docs allows you to create, collaborate and share documents, spreadsheets, presentations, drawings and even forms.
- It will automatically save the file online and store it.
- It can be downloaded in different formats.
It is a completely Web-based, free word processing program.With Microsoft Office Web Apps, you get free editing tools and 25 gigabytes of online storage via SkyDrive. You can access the files from both Windows and Mac machines.
Apple fans will already be familiar with the joys of iWork but is also available for other users. Some great features of iWork are:
- Pages, Numbers and Keynote are all adept at your day-to-day work-related needs.
- The apps are ideal if you need to draft up a quick mobile missive.
“Documents to Go” allows you to view, edit and create Word and Excel files using your iPhone and iPad. Some other features include:
- It is a mobile alternative to Office.
- It’s a handy Windows-friendly alternative to Apple’s iWork.
Jarte is a WordPad based, free word processor and has a unique interface that will make you feel ease.
- Jarte doesn’t look anything like the office word processor you are used to, but can handle your word processing tasks with aplomb.
- You can work online as well download it on your PC