Photography is one of the best career options in this competitive world. There are a lot of people who do photography as a hobby as well as they can also make their career in this field. Slowly but steadily, photography is becoming popular all over the world. There are so many types of photography like fashion photography, wildlife photography, professional photography and many more. Architectural photography is also a type of photography. There are a lot of people who are very much passionate for architectural photography. However, this type of photography demands a lot of dedication, patience, hard work and skill. But it is a good career option for anyone. Architectural photography is the photography of various monuments, old buildings, tombs, caves, towers and many more historical places.
Things to avoid while doing Architectural Photography
- If you are standing close to a structure or a building, then it is advisable not to capture the photo until and unless you have a SLR camera.
- Always spend more time on practicing shooting rather than to research about the gear.
- You should be fast in capturing photos.
- You cannot capture a high quality photograph if you do not look at the structure properly.
- Always take the advice from an expert photographer instead of any normal people.
Great Tips to Take Breath-taking Architecture Photos
You must follow the photography tips to become a good photographer. Good photographers always follow and apply these tips in its photography. These tips will surely help you in capturing various types of amazing and breath-taking images of historical monuments.
- Preparation: You have to keep a regular update on the weather forecast for your destination. Because a sunny summer day or a heavy rain storm may be ruin your photography plan. Also check the opening and closing time of monument or structure, you wish to shoot on that day. It is also necessary to take the permission of photography from the authorized person.
- Understand the Building’s Function: Before capturing photos of a building or any monument, it is necessary for you to understand the building’s function as every structure or building is created for a special purpose and it symbolizes a meaning. After knowing the function of that building, it becomes easier for you to take great photographs of that building. Your captured photographs should signify the purpose of that building.
- Gear: When you go for an architectural photography shoot, always prefer an ultra-wide angle or a wide angle lens instead of any other lens. It is one of the best lenses for this type of photography. You can easily set various dramatic compositions with this lens. You can also use a slight telephoto lens in this type of photography which is good for isolating. Polarizing and ultra violet filters can also be very much beneficial in architectural photography. It is necessary for you to use tripod for taking night shots.
- Make use of Converging Lines: This type of photography demands parallel and straight lines. If you are not expert in capturing photos with straight and parallel lines, then it may be lead to a dramatic result. Historical buildings are built in such a way that lines spiral and curves. Therefore, you need to shoot with a wide focal length.
- Time: A good photographer is one who is not in a hurry. He takes their time to explore the structure. He moves around the whole structure to find the best lightning conditions. He properly balances the exposure of their camera. He also studies the subject carefully and then he captures the photographs at unusual point of view.
- Watch the Edges of Your Frame: Frames matters a lot in each type of photography. What the viewer takes the idea about the building depends on the ending of the frame. Always check the borders of the frame properly. The photograph or structure should not be cut abruptly. You have to keep the pillars or arch in the middle section of a photograph along with some empty space at both sides.
Choosing the Best Camera for Architectural Photography
- No shutter lag should be present in your camera.
- Always prefer a lightweight camera which is having view finder functionality.
- LCD screen compatible camera is always better for this type of photography.
- The camera should have automatic functions so that it can automatic adjust according to the natural lights.
Important Points while doing Architectural Photography
- This type of photography can be done by using a small camera having a wider lens.
- You should be quick and fast in capturing photographs, so that there are fewer chances to miss the best shot.
- The shots you took should be look natural and perfect.
- The shutter speed of your camera should be 1/500 seconds.
- The focal length of aperture must be ranging between f4 to f5.6.