Smush.it uses optimization techniques specific to image format to remove unnecessary bytes from image files. It is a “lossless” tool, which means it optimizes the images without changing their look or visual quality. After Smush.it runs on a web page it reports how many bytes would be saved by optimizing the page’s images and provides a downloadable zip file with the minimized image files.
Smush.it WordPress Plugin
Yahoo’s excellent Exceptional Performance series recommends optimizing images in several lossless ways:
- Stripping meta data from JPEGs
- Optimizing JPEG compression
- Converting certain GIFs to indexed PNGs
- Stripping the un-used colours from indexed images
Smush.it offers an API that performs these optimizations (except for stripping JPEG meta data) automatically, and this plugin seamlessly integrates Smush.it with WordPress.
How does it work?
Every image you add to a page or post will be automatically run through Smush.it behind the scenes. You don’t have to do anything different.
1. Upload the wp-smushit plugin to your /wp-content/plugins/ directory.
2. Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.